Apr 23, 2014
CIA grads win 25% of nation's top retail design honors
Mar 15, 2014 @ MOCA Cleveland in Cleveland, OH
CIA's Traveling Sketchbooks make a last stop at MOCA
Apr 17, 2014
Design major gets zombie's reception at her former school
Mar 28, 2014
The Accident: Recent Work by Nicky Nodjoumi
about 12 hours ago via Facebook
CIA students presented NEO: A Runway Show in which they modeled wearables in the form of accessories, design, and conceptual art before nearly 200 audience members in CIAs Reinberger Galleries last night. The award winners for the evening were Sculpture major Graham Baldwin, Best of Show; Jewelry + Metals major Hongzhe Ma, Best Accessory; and art education major Raisa E. Cabrera, Best Material and Technology.
Apr 16, 2014
Alumnus and superhero comics writer Brian Bendis visits CIA
Mar 28, 2014
Dinner by Design Art of the Table, and a runway show
Apr 15, 2014
Students win $11,000 in Dealer Tire art competition
Apr 22, 2014 @ Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland in Cleveland, OH
2014 Spring Design Show
Apr 22, 2014
4/24-27: Bernard Hermann weekend with CITIZEN KANE, MARNIE & more!
If you have attended any other accredited four- or two-year college, university, or post-secondary professional school, you are encouraged to apply to the Cleveland Institute of Art as a transfer student.
Transferring to a new college can be overwhelming and intimidating. But at the Cleveland Institute of Art, we do our best to personally ease you through the process. Take a moment to review this page for information on our application and credit transfer processes as well financial aid and scholarships for transfer students. Read more about admission deadlines on the Apply page.
Transfer candidates are accepted at CIA based upon artistic and academic qualifications as well as available space. To be considered for admission, you must follow the application procedures and criteria below.
2. Attach the $30 application fee. Make checks payable to The Cleveland Institute of Art.
3. Complete a personal statement, in which you describe your purpose for attending a college of art and design, what led you to this decision, and why you have chosen to apply at CIA. You may either fill out the personal statement prompt outlined in Section 6 of the application form or include a typed statement. If you send a typed statement, please sign the bottom of the personal statement form in the application.
4. Arrange to have official transcripts sent to us from all colleges, universities, and post-secondary schools attended.
5. Forward one letter of recommendation.
The letter preferably should come from a faculty member or counselor who knows your artistic and academic work well and understands your desire to become a working artist.
6. If you are a transfer international student and English is not your native language, you also must demonstrate proof of English language proficiency with one of the following:
7. Submit your portfolio of artwork. Your portfolio must be submitted in CD or DVD format or online. If you choose to submit your portfolio online, we will send you online instructions once you start your application. Your portfolio should consist of no fewer than 12 and no more than 20 pieces of work. Please carefully follow all our portfolio guidelines, and make sure to provide the specific elements required of transfer students.
If you choose to mail your application materials, please send to:
Office of Admissions
Cleveland Institute of Art
11141 East Boulevard
Cleveland, Ohio 44106
Once you have submitted your official transcripts from any colleges attended, we will evaluate all transcripts to determine which courses will transfer into CIA's undergraduate program.
Transfer credit is divided into two categories:
Before submitting a final application, you are strongly encouraged to meet with an admissions counselor to discuss which classes most likely will transfer and at what studio level you will be placed.
In order to receive financial aid or loans, you must first be accepted as a degree-seeking student. Review our general financial aid tips included in our application checklist or learn more about financing your education.
Besides applying for financial aid, you also will be automatically entered in CIA’s Transfer Merit Scholarship Competition upon completion of your transfer student application. You do not need to apply for this scholarship. To be considered, complete your transfer student application by June 1 for the fall semester or November 15 for the spring semester.
We pride ourselves on providing a personal connection to our prospective and current students, so if you have any questions about our requirements, please contact our Office of Admissions.
Forbes Magazine named our neighborhood one of the prettiest.
Click here to read one student's transfer experience.
We strongly encourage you to meet the following deadlines to ensure admission to CIA and eligibility for the highest amounts of portfolio scholarships and institutional financial aid. However, you may submit an application for admission any time before the first day of classes on a “rolling basis” and will be considered as long as space is available. Please note that only transfer student who qualify for advanced standing with at least 9 college studio credits are eligible for spring admission.
Early action 1 deadline
Early action 2 deadline
Priority deadline for need-based financial aid applications
Intention to register deadline and tuition deposit
Housing application deadline
Regular decision deadline for transfer students
Regular decision deadline
Sharpen your artistic skills at CIA's Pre-College Program this summer.
Nicky Nodjoumi and Dinner by Design exhibitions
CIA welcomes spring with two wildly different shows.
Cores + Connections
Learn more about CIA's proven method for academic and professional excellence.