Search
View full story pcroppedbarryunderwoodfnlst211.06.jpg

story

Jul 23, 2014

Professor's productive year saw exhibitions, acquisitions, residencies, travel, and press

View details 2014 Student Summer Show

cia exhibition

May 19, 2014

2014 Student Summer Show

View full story -4ea84d4f1e62596d.jpg

story

Jul 22, 2014

CIA grad's iconic monument to be rededicated

View details 60 Looney Tunes cartoons coming to the Cinematheque

events

Jul 05, 2014

60 Looney Tunes cartoons coming to the Cinematheque

View Link

social

about 16 hours ago via Facebook

Assistant Professor Barry Underwood had a busy, productive sabbatical last year. He traveled to half a dozen national parks around the western U.S. to scout locations and take photographs for a new project; completed two artist residencies in New England; took part in nine exhibitions; was featured in more than a dozen magazine and website articles; and rounded out the year with four of his prints selected for Akron Art Museumís permanent photography collection. Read more in the article below.

View full story rmblueblockparty2.0panoramafinalstatecopyrightrobertmullerhi.jpg

story

Jul 22, 2014

Thursday night concert series rocks CIA's neighborhood

View details 2014 Faculty Exhibition Opening Reception

cia exhibition

Aug 28, 2014

2014 Faculty Exhibition Opening Reception

View full story cc32.jpg

story

Jun 25, 2014

Cuyahoga County unveils county seal designed by CIA student

View details 2014 Faculty Exhibition

cia exhibition

Aug 28, 2014

2014 Faculty Exhibition

View details picresized1405729138double2.jpg

blog

Jul 29, 2014

7/31-8/2: Looney Tunes finale, The Double, Brasslands & more!

View full story princeton-reviewcopy.jpg

story

Aug 20, 2013

CIA named one of the "Best in the Midwest"

View details Filmmaker and author John Waters to present one-man show

events

Sep 27, 2014

Filmmaker and author John Waters to present one-man show

Blog . Etsy: A Marketplace For Artists

Etsy: A Marketplace For Artists

11/06/13  |  Posted by Vanesa Jeric  |  Posted in Digital Canvas - Tips & Tricks

In my sophomore year at The Cleveland Institute of Art, I moved out of the dorms and into my own apartment. I no longer had the luxury of an all-you-can-eat buffet and never before experienced a heating bill during winter. I was always told, "When artists get hungry, they get creative." And that's what I did. I started selling jewelry and wall art that I made for friends and family on Etsy.

What is it?

Etsy is an online marketplace for all kinds of artists to start their own business. Drawings, paintings, glassblowing, sewing, even supplies can bring some extra cashflow. Artwork created by YOU can be seen and purchased by people all over the world. People who appreciate art come to Etsy because it is specifically designed to showcase handmade and vintage items. Reselling mass-produced goods is not allowed.

Connect

I've made many friends, buyers and sellers alike, selling my artwork in such a diverse community. There's a bunch of ways to connect with other people including teams, how-to's, forums, and the Etsy Blog. The blog features a new artist every week and real stories of people quitting their day jobs to sell on Etsy full time.

Sold Yet?

My shop has grown into a part time job and I am incredibly grateful to be able to create art inspired by my friends and family to make other people happy. Etsy is the perfect outlet for me to do that. I've created several custom orders for buyers who tell me about a special person in their life and want me to create something based on what I feel from their story. These are my favorite orders to fulfill, it's like someone saying "I know you'll make it look good so go nuts, be yourself." For a young artist wanting free reign, Etsy is a good starting point. Read more about how to sign up for a shop.

From the Etsy Blog

Upon visiting the Etsy blog, I was inspired by an Etsy artist named Jim Power, also known as "The Mosaic Man." He was homeless, creating mosaics on lampposts in New York City for nearly thirty years to combat the city slums. Take a look at his story above.

0