View full story creativefusionartsrobertmullerciaphoto1114.jpg

Story: Nov 24, 2014

Artist-in-residence Chi-Yu Liao appreciates CIA reception

View details Fall 2014 Exhibitions

CIA Exhibition: Nov 07, 2014

Fall 2014 Exhibitions

View full story madesurrealvictoriabest4041.jpg

Story: Nov 15, 2014

Students capture two of the top prizes in museum's surreal d...

View details The Art of Designing Everything

Events: Dec 01, 2014

The Art of Designing Everything

View Link

Social: about 2 hours ago via Facebook

Register today for a public panel discussion on Monday, Dec. 1, that will explore the lives and works of Massimo and Lella Vignelli, designers of everything, fr...

View full story dsc92052.jpg

Story: Nov 04, 2014

New CIA building taking shape; set for December completion

View details Student Holiday Craft Sale

Events: Dec 05, 2014

Student Holiday Craft Sale

View full story bestregmidwest.jpg

Story: Aug 18, 2014

CIA again named to "Best in the Midwest" list

Blog . Etsy: A Marketplace For Artists

Etsy: A Marketplace For Artists

11/06/13  |  Posted by Vanesa Jeric  |  Posted in Digital Canvas - Tips & Tricks

In my sophomore year at The Cleveland Institute of Art, I moved out of the dorms and into my own apartment. I no longer had the luxury of an all-you-can-eat buffet and never before experienced a heating bill during winter. I was always told, "When artists get hungry, they get creative." And that's what I did. I started selling jewelry and wall art that I made for friends and family on Etsy.

What is it?

Etsy is an online marketplace for all kinds of artists to start their own business. Drawings, paintings, glassblowing, sewing, even supplies can bring some extra cashflow. Artwork created by YOU can be seen and purchased by people all over the world. People who appreciate art come to Etsy because it is specifically designed to showcase handmade and vintage items. Reselling mass-produced goods is not allowed.

Connect

I've made many friends, buyers and sellers alike, selling my artwork in such a diverse community. There's a bunch of ways to connect with other people including teams, how-to's, forums, and the Etsy Blog. The blog features a new artist every week and real stories of people quitting their day jobs to sell on Etsy full time.

Sold Yet?

My shop has grown into a part time job and I am incredibly grateful to be able to create art inspired by my friends and family to make other people happy. Etsy is the perfect outlet for me to do that. I've created several custom orders for buyers who tell me about a special person in their life and want me to create something based on what I feel from their story. These are my favorite orders to fulfill, it's like someone saying "I know you'll make it look good so go nuts, be yourself." For a young artist wanting free reign, Etsy is a good starting point. Read more about how to sign up for a shop.

From the Etsy Blog

Upon visiting the Etsy blog, I was inspired by an Etsy artist named Jim Power, also known as "The Mosaic Man." He was homeless, creating mosaics on lampposts in New York City for nearly thirty years to combat the city slums. Take a look at his story above.

0