Apr. 29: Financial Aid Night at CIA
Register here.

Blog . Easy 3D Modeling in Sculptris

Easy 3D Modeling in Sculptris

01/22/14  |  Posted by Jordan Charlton  |  Posted in Digital Creativity

In a previous blog post I mentioned two 3D modeling programs, Blender and Maya. Even though blender and Maya are great programs, they are a little interface heavy. Some of the modeling by using the edges, vertices, and faces can be a little stiff. I like to do my simple organic modeling in Sculptris 3D, a free program by Pixologic.

Pixologic is known for their popular sculpting program called Zbrush. Sculptris is meant to be a free version of Zbrush with less features. It doesn't have as many tools, but it's able to sculpt and get the job done. When opening up Sculptris, the interface is a lot smaller. You have various options such as pinching the sphere, or grabbing and moving certain parts of it. I started making a simple, kind of creepy looking head. I did that by pushing, pulling, and smoothing certain parts of the sphere. To add eyes I just added more basic spheres. You can apply materials to the scene just like in Maya. Sculptris even allows you to paint the model inside the program and supports exporting to different software. I exported my head to Blender to fix it up, add a texture, set it up for animation, and render it. What a lot of modelers do is sculpt a base model and then export it in order to refine the model, making it easier to animate. Sculptris is nice for doing simple sculpts just for fun, making a model, rendering it, and even adding it to a digital painting. There's a lot you can do with this simple but effective tool!

0