Search
View full story pcroppedbarryunderwoodfnlst211.06.jpg

story

Jul 23, 2014

Professor's productive year saw exhibitions, acquisitions, residencies, travel, and press

View details 2014 Student Summer Show

cia exhibition

May 19, 2014

2014 Student Summer Show

View full story -4ea84d4f1e62596d.jpg

story

Jul 22, 2014

CIA grad's iconic monument to be rededicated

View details 60 Looney Tunes cartoons coming to the Cinematheque

events

Jul 05, 2014

60 Looney Tunes cartoons coming to the Cinematheque

View Link

social

about 9 hours ago via Facebook

This amazing piece by recent CIA photography grad Emma Howell '14 is an example of the collection of artwork on our Pinterest board showcasing student artwork. Check out more at http://ow.ly/zA8Vt!

View full story rmblueblockparty2.0panoramafinalstatecopyrightrobertmullerhi.jpg

story

Jul 22, 2014

Thursday night concert series rocks CIA's neighborhood

View details Visiting printmaker Hamanishi demonstrates mezzotint technique

events

Jul 27, 2014

Visiting printmaker Hamanishi demonstrates mezzotint technique

View full story cc32.jpg

story

Jun 25, 2014

Cuyahoga County unveils county seal designed by CIA student

View details 2014 Faculty Exhibition

cia exhibition

Aug 28, 2014

2014 Faculty Exhibition

View details picresized1403830539youngandbeautiful2.jpg

blog

Jul 23, 2014

7/24-26: The Lunchbox, Tweety & Sylvester, Richard Myers & more!

View full story princeton-reviewcopy.jpg

story

Aug 20, 2013

CIA named one of the "Best in the Midwest"

View details 2014 Faculty Exhibition Opening Reception

cia exhibition

Aug 28, 2014

2014 Faculty Exhibition Opening Reception

Blog . How To Generate Your Own Video Effects Without Using Presets

How To Generate Your Own Video Effects Without Using Presets

04/09/14  |  Posted by Leah Yochman  |  Posted in Digital Creativity

Recently I have been trying to figure out how to create my own video effects with out relying on video editing software. That’s because I not only wanted to save myself some time when rendering, but I also wanted to make something unique for my videos.

What I Used

The presets for blur weren’t quite what I was looking for and when I tried to render the video it was going to take a along time, because of the numbers of files I had with the blur effect on them. To get around having to wait for the video to take hours to render, I decided to try to blur the video while I was taking it. I used clear frosted plastic bags I tied over the lens to create a blur effect, along with holding my glasses up to the lens. The bag blurs the video to a point of being only basic shapes and colors. If you defocus the camera it adds to the softness of the blur. I got a less intense blur by holding my glasses up to the lens.

Why I Use This For My Art

I wanted a blurred effect because I am making a personal piece with a goal to make me feel grounded when I am feeling extremely low or high with my emotions. I have been taking film of people, places, and things that make me feel at peace and calm. It doesn’t matter to me if the video is crystal clear or not. For me, the video being blurred along with having everything be soft shapes and colors is aesthetically pleasing, it also helps me to feel calm. It's not so much the importance of being able to see the people, places, and things in my video but knowing they are there. A different piece I am making is going to be twenty-two 1 minute long videos that I take and distort in camera. Then I am going to make it an interactive video installation by having all the videos copied on to multiple devices and then project them into the same corner, overlapping the video. People can then choose what videos they want to overlap, changing the end result of what they are watching. In addition, I will be making no more than twenty-two and no less than 10 sculptures that people also have the option of putting over the projector to distort the video even more.

What I have discovered So Far

At this moment I have used cheap, clear plastic, iridescent wrapping paper, broken CD shards, broken headlights/taillights, and a cut gemstone to get different distortions on my videos. The cheap plastic is a little box I got when I was a child that held my Pokémon cards and when it’s held over the camera lens, it looks similar to the dust and scratch preset. When I used the iridescent wrapping paper to distort the video, my wrapping paper's base color was pink, it tinted the video pink while giving it an ethereal distorted effect. The broken CD shard gives the video a look similar to being underwater, while also having multiplied lines of the color spectrum moving around while taking the video. The broken headlight/taillight are similar in the aspect that they distort the video into what looks like a honey comb shape and also by making the edges of the video rounded and stretched depending on the piece and what part you have over the lens. The only main difference is that one turns the video red, while the other turns it orange. Using the cut gemstone creates a more controlled version of the kaleidoscope effect, it takes what you are filming and makes a bunch of small videos in different shapes that you can still tell what it is being filmed. My gem is iridescent and tints the video pastel, emphasizing the darks and lights in what I am filming.

0