CIA’s Student Life and Housing, in consultation with the IT Department, has created a convenient QR Resource Menu for easy access to academic, financial, transportation, dining, and campus information. A number of students assisted in the creation of the poster with Matt Smith. Posters with twelve essential QR codes are located in both the George Gund Building and Joseph McCullough Center, ready to scan with any mobile device. The posters provide easy instructions for students seeking to utilize this new resource:
What is a QR Code?
“Quick Response 2D barcode that can be decoded with a barcode scanner application on mobile devices. Once scanned, QR codes provide access to websites and contact information.”
How do I use a QR Code?
“1. Download QR Code Reader – http://www.cia.edu/code
2. Use the scanner on any of the codes
3. Save the information & use around campus!”
Upon entering the given URL into the Safari browser on the iPad, students will be directed from a CIA page to the i-nigma download page. I-nigma will then recognize the handset and provide a link to the app store to install the free:
i-nigma QR Code, Data Matrix and 1D barcode reader
I-nigma, a quick and efficient barcode reader, features simultaneous scanning, price comparisons in the i-nigma Shopper, and the option to share and create your own QR codes on various social networking sites. Upon successful completion of a scan, i-nigma will immediately open a new browser window for website links, contact information forms, Geo barcodes on Map, transfer vCard and MECARD scans to your contacts, and import Calendar barcodes into your mobile calendar.
Test out the i-nigma app with a few of the QR codes from the CIA QR Resource Menu:
- Campus Map: Opens a PDF map of University Circle.
- Financial Aid: Provides contact information for Martin Carney, director of Financial Aid, and the address of the Financial Aid office.
- Academic Calendar: Opens a PDF Document of the 2011-2012 Academic Calendar.
- Riding RTA: Opens a new browser window for the RTA (Greater Cleveland Transit Authority) website with maps and bus schedules.
- Emergency Information: Opens a PDF of Campus Emergency Numbers, Health Services Contacts, and Community Services.